Historical Neighbordhoods and Typical Locations
In some of Santa Catarina’s cities, there are historic neighborhoods, communities and typical colonies, where you can have closer contact with the traditions, folklore and cuisine inherited from the colonizers. Public markets and traditional associations are also places where local customs and culture may be authentically experienced.
Colônia de Vargem Grande
Founded in 1837 by dissidentes of the colony of São Pedro de Alcântara, it houses the Parque Aquático Sol de Verão (Summer Sun Aquatic Park) and the Gruta Nossa Senhora de Lourdes (Grotto Our Lady of Lourdes). BR-282, at 3 km from the Center.
Colônia Santa Isabel
Founded in 1847, it is the most typical among the German colonies of Águas Mornas. It houses, in the midst of fascinating scenery, the Parque Aquático Primavera (Spring Aquatic Park) and the handicraft store Scheidd, where you can find exclusive wooden items. It is located at the side of the BR-282.
Colônia de Teresópolis
Founded in 1860, it has two beautiful churches, with high towers, which represent the Catholic and Evangelical faiths. Access by the SC-431, at 15 km from the Center.
It includes the old Agricultural Patronage building, the Public Archive, the Municipal Library, the Parish House and houses in German style.
The Center of Florianópolis gathers together a series of constructions of historical importance. Do not fail to visit the Catedral Metropolitana, of 1753; the Praça XV de Novembro (November 15 Square), where there is the centenary fig tree; the Palácio Cruz e Souza (Cruz and Souza Palace), built in the 18th century (currently the seat of the Museu Histórico de Santa Catarina (Historical Museum of Santa Catarina)); the Teatro Álvaro de Carvalho (Álvaro de Carvalho Theater) (totally restored and in activity); the house in which the famous painter Victor Meirelles was born and also the Mercado Público (Public Market) and Casa da Alfândega (Customs House) where colonial products and handicraft from all over the state are sold.
Santo Antônio de Lisboa
Ancient center of Azorean colonization, located on the path of the beaches of the north of the Island, with mansions of the time and a good choice of restaurants specialized in seafood. It is one of the best places to admire the sunset and the Ponte Hercílio Luz.
Ribeirão da Ilha
Located in the south of the Island, it was the first inhabited community of Florianópolis. Even today one can appreciate the ancient houses of Azorean style which are, together with the oyster sea farms (the region is one of the most productive in shellfish in Brazil), the main attractions of the place. There is a good choice of restaurants specialized in oysters and seafood.
Enseada de Brito
Founded in 1750, it preserves the Azorean culture. The centenary mansion, listed by the Historical Heritage, and mariculture are the main attractions of the region.
Group of centenary buildings, monuments and houses in the colonial and Azorean style (see Historical Heritage).
São Pedro de Alcântara
Comunidade de Santa Filomena
It gathers together historical buildings listed by the State Government. SC-407, Santa Filomena.
Caminho dos Cânions
Balneário de Ilhas
The beautiful view of where the river meets the sea is just one of the attractions of this colonial fishing village, where you can find the roots of the town of Araranguá. When visiting, be sure to also see the artisan work made with reeds (a plant fiber), especially the beach mats and the decorative items. Access the town by ferry from Balneário Morro dos Conventos or via ARA-250, the municipal highway that connects the rural area of the city to the neighboring town of Maracajá.
Costa Verde e Mar
Bairro da Barra
Typically Azorean fishing village that preserves the cultural heritage of the colonists in gastronomy, crafts and its historic buildings such the Church of Our Lady of Good Success (known as the Igreja de Santo Amaro), Casa Linhares and the Praça dos Pescadores.
The district preserves important architectural heritage, such as the Marcos Konder Oalace (built in 1925, and home to the Itajaí History Museum), Casa Burghardt (built in 1904, and where the Cultural Foundation and Municipal Art Gallery operate), Casa Malburg, Dide Brandão Cultural Center, the Municipal Library mansion, the Hotel Rota do Mar (inaugurated in 1897), Casa Konder and Casa Lins (home to the Center for Documentation and Historic memory).
Armação do Itapocorói
The fishing village that was the heart of Azorean colonization in the region. On the 800 m coastline we can highlight the traditional vessels from artisan fishing, as well as dozens of restaurants specialized in seafood.
Sertão do Valongo
Remaining center of the ‘quilombo’ settlement where pioneering colonists established themselves after the abolition of slavery in Brazil. Today, the Adventist rural community formed by descendants of slaves stands out for its Valongo Ceramics project. It is worthwhile checking out the pieces produced by the young people in the community.
A community located at 25 km from the Center of Blumenau, the most genuine German retreat in the city.
A community located at 17 km from the Center, it was colonized by Germans and Prussians.
Locality at less than 10 km from the Center, it preserves the first timber frame houses of the settlement occurring in 1860. It contains the headquarters of the oldest shooting society in Santa Catarina. In this community there are also two monuments listed by the National Historical and Artistic Heritage Institute (IPHAN): the suspension bridge and covered wooden bridge, over the Warnow Stream.
Encantos do Sul
Includes the Azorean houses distributed along the shore and the parallel streets, Praça 21 de Abril, the São Joaquim Parish Church, and the structure known as the Vigia – the old administrative headquarters of Garopaba’s whaling outfit, which now holds an art and handicraft gallery.
Construction in the urban center of Jaguaruna began in 1875 with the town’s first church. The main highlight is the Railroad Station, from 1919, which recalls the development of the city with the arrival of the Tereza Cristina Railroad.
A concentration of around 600 buildings listed by the National Historical and Artistic Heritage Institute (IPHAN), which can be seen on an outing through the city on foot.
Vale do Rio Maior
Rural community where the main historical buildings of the town are found, highlights being the property of the Cancelier family (listed as a federal heritage site) and the Church of São Gervásio e Protásio, built by the first immigrants between 1909 and 1914 (beside SC-446). Other attractions of the community are the alternative pousadas and the houses which sell handicrafts and colonial products. To schedule visits or hire guides: (48) 3465-1664.
Surrounding Praça Anita Garibaldi is are the historical houses of the urban center of Urussanga. A highlight is the Nossa Senhora da Conceição Parish Church (built between 1939 and 1944), which received a marble replica from the Vatican of Michelangelo’s sculpture La Pietá.
CAMINHO DOS PRÍNCIPES
Jaraguá do Sul
Jaragua do Sul was settled by Germans, Italians and Hungarians. The towns where these people have settled many attractions of historical interest, such as churches and typical houses. View in German History and Culture / History Heritage, Italian Heritage and Other Historical Heritage Europeans (or in Jaragua do Sul / Rural Tourism).
São Francisco do Sul
The memory of the Portuguese colonization is preserved in the more than 150 items of real estate listed by the National Historical and Artistic Heritage Institute (IPHAN). The rich architectural unit, surrounded by Babitonga Bay, is well worth taking in calmly on foot.
Vila da Glória
A typical community of fishermen situated in a scenario of great natural beauty, between Babitonga Bay and Serra do Mar (Sea Mountain Range), in the continental area of São Francisco do Sul. The locality houses the Capela Nossa Senhora da Glória (Chapel of Our Lady of Glory) (1855), has several restaurants and is also much sought after by adepts at ecotourism. There are trails in the midst of the rainforest which lead to beautiful waterfalls (find out about guided visits in the Tourism and Leisure Secretariat) and areas for riding. Access by boat, going from the Historical Center to the community, or by neighboring roads from Itapoá, Garuva and Joinville.
Vale do Contestado
Santa Cruz do Timbó
The largest district of Porto União, has brought together residents from a variety of places, such as Polish, Ukrainian and the Indians that live on the reservation that is there. These communities have kept their traditions alive through handicrafts and folkloric groups.
This Austrian colony holds the first church built in the town, located at the site where the first immigrants settled. On Mother’s Day and Our Lady Aparecida day (October 12) the grotto near the church is the destination of many pilgrimages. 7 km from the Center.
Colony made up of Italian descendants that maintain their traditions in the architecture, customs and food. There are cantinas and colonial products. 10 km from the Center.